Friday, October 12, 2012

Ruse: A game of murder, intrigue and hypodermic needle rifles

Ruse is a great card game. I got to play test it a few weeks ago at a local convention. It's a steam-punk themed murder mystery game.  The game play revolves around the holy trinity of murder, Method, Motive, and Opportunity. There's only one looser, the person that committed the murder, and everyone else wins. Another facet of the game I appreciated is that it is constructed from a standard 52 card deck so you can use it to play your favorite standard card games.

The cards are split into 2 general types, alibis and accusations. A player loses when they have three accusations a Motive, Method, and Opportunity in front of them and can't remove any of them with an alibi. There is a one use option everyone has to remove an accusation from in front of them. The game play is fast and solid. The longest game I played was about 30 minutes and the shortest was about 8. The turns are simple, play 1 draw 1 and the mechanics of playing cards are very simple to pick up.

Ruse is a wonderful short game. It will make a great gateway game to introduce people to more complicated card games, and I would keep it in my library as a side game to give to RPG groups while I'm taking a player to the side. The art on the cards was very well done and quite enjoyable, my favorite was the Hypodermic needle rifle. Bonsai Entertainment did a great job putting this together and I'm looking forward to getting a copy of it. It should be on kick starter within the month and I wish them the best of luck with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment